Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Practicing Chord Progression Exercise

1 reply, 1 voice Last updated by  Dennis Dooley 9 months ago
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I am doing an exercise that seems quite simple but requires a lot (I mean a lot!!) of concentration.

I play the scale ascending and descending with the right hand and for each scale note I play the accompanying chord in the left hand which is either a tonic (I), a subdominant (IV) or a dominant (V) chord. I have to do this for each major and minor scale. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Well, it is not. At least, it is not easy for me.

This is a good exercise to “forget about your troubles and wash your cares away”. That is a Judy Garland song from and old black and white movie of the 1950’s. 🙂

Dennis

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I am actually making progress in improvising. I play very basic harmonies to accompany simple melodies and it is getting easier.

I am sounding better all the time, but the progress is slow. I do realize that I am thinking much more in terms of chords than individual notes. I am also beginning to notice that my fingers sometimes move to a different chord automatically.

Presetnly I am playing the I, IV and V chord (and I, iv and V in minor keys). Once I get really good at this in all the keys I will start adding 9th, 11th and 13th, and other chords as well.

The most difficult thing is being patient.

But it is coming along.

Dennis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.