Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Repertoire Ligeti "Fanfares"

15 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  kuska 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear students,

At the moment I am practicing a study called “Fanfares” by Ligeti.
    What are your dream pieces you would like to play?

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

A piece I would like to start someday is Morgenstemming by Edvard Grieg. It is part of the Peer Gynt suite. I recently discovered that I have the piano sheet music. It was in a box full of old and worn piano scores that I obtained a few years ago from an ad in a local online “For Sale” site. They had belonged to a lady who taught piano up to about 1980.

As I look over the score I feel I could take on a piece of that complexity. I think I am at that level now.

Dennis

Paul
    Participant
    @Paul

jaak wrote:
    At the moment I am practicing a study called “Fanfares” by Ligeti.

Me too, what a coincidence! (Just kidding) Watched a couple of performances of fanfares on youtube: 😮

Possible dream pieces: some Chopin nocturnes I’m hearing for the first time recently.

Probably impossible (to play well) dream piece: Chopin ballade 4 (only heard it a few times, but easily my favourite of the ballades)

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi,

Yes this Ligeti is not a piece of cake and needs work 🙂

@dennis, this is a very nice piece and totally in your reach of abilities!
    Have you started already? Maybe you can send me a copy of the note sheet just out of mu curiosity? 🙂

@Paul_L, you are for sure in a year or so able to play nocturnes by Chopin. Which one would you like to play?
    The ballade 4 is very difficult, but you never know. A lot of dedicated, disciplined and intelligent work and everything is possible.

Will be accompanying my wife soon. She is singing “Forelle” by Schubert. A very beautiful piece.
    Also I performed a graphic score by Udo Kasemets in a festival on Friday. It is called “Timepiece for a solo performer” and includes a lot if improvisational elements.

Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hello Jaak,

I just read your post. I will dig up the sheet music for Edvard Grieg’s Morgenstemming and send you a copy. And thank you for your vote of confidence. 🙂

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Jaak,

I just sent you the music sheet for Morgenstimmung by Grieg.

I have not started it yet seriously. It does not overly complicated. As you indicate, this should be within my skill level.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for the note sheet. It is just interesting to see different arrangements from well known pieces 🙂

All the best!
    Jaak

Paul
    Participant
    @Paul

jaak wrote:
    @paul_l, you are for sure in a year or so able to play nocturnes by Chopin. Which one would you like to play?

The ones I really like after only hearing them a couple of times are No 11 in g minor, No 19 in e minor, and one identified only as Nocturne in C minor (no opus number). I’ll have to take a look at the notesheets and see if one looks obviously more approachable for me to start studying (if not actually playing).

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

It is raining here today so I can not work outside. This is a good day to sit at the piano.

There is a lovely perforance of Murgenstimmung on Youtube by Léiki Uëda. The fingering is fairly easy to see, including the right hand which is reflected in the fallboard.

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

jaak wrote:
    Will be accompanying my wife soon. She is singing “Forelle” by Schubert. A very beautiful piece.

Hi Jaak,

I just listened to Die Forelle on Youtube. You are correct, it is a very beautiful piece. I also noticed the piano accompaniment which is also very nice. I wish you both a great performance.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for good wishes!
    The performance went very well. I also accompanied some choirs which was a great experience too.

Meanwhile… just accidentally recorded study op 25 no 1 by Chopin

How is your practice, recording going?

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Jaak,

Well… I think I am blushing right now.

My piano practice is not advancing very much at this time. Most of my time is spent working on my outdoor project, which is coming along quite well. In fact, it is advancing much faster than I anticipated. I think by the end of May everything will be back to normal. At least that’s the plan.

I was chatting with my piano technician yesterday and we agreed that I would get the piano tuned once I have time and can better focus on that. I still like the sound of that Yamaha.

I am glad your performance went well.

How can someone “accidentally” record a piece of Chopin like that?? It is amazing. You must have spend countless hours getting it to that level of performance. I like the way you hold on to the last notes and then just calmly let go and put your hands on your lap. You definitely are an inspiration.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear Dennis,

These outdoor activities is something I like very much. I would like to do that kind of works too. In childhood we spent every summer in a country cottage where we made many outdoor works.

About the recording – actually we were filming just to get a little section for an intro in a video. But I played the whole piece and it was not so very bad. Still I think it is not good enough to post on Youtube – some more work and then maybe. I dare to share work in progress with you as well despite it is not so easy. But I am happy if it inspired you.

Best wishes and take care!
    Jaak

kuska
    Participant
    @kuska

O, Fortuna (Carmina Burana)

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I sang Carmina Burana in the bass section of the Rideau Chorale a few years ago. A magnificent work. O, Fortuna is lovely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.