Tagged: 

3 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Dennis Dooley 9 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I received my Seiko SQ60 metronome a few days ago. It is great and easu to use. What I particularly like about it is that I can set it to have a different sound on the first beat which is better than having all the beats sounding the same. This helps me in making sure I observe the correct number of beats in a measure, especially when there are a lot of fast notes in the measure. This way I know when I fall on the first beat.

Seiko SQ60

I got it on ebay and it was inexpensive.

Dennis

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi!

Congratulations for the metronome!
    In some cases work with metronome is priceless I believe.

At the same time it is important to know that while practicing with metronome, the natural imagination of music must not be made a prisoner.
    Our mind and its processes are never so symmetrical and mathematical as metronome rhythm. I believe thinking could be more like a fractal type model.

Take care and enjoy your new tool 🙂

Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Jaak,

My piano teache is constantly urging me to play with the metronome. I agree that a metronome is an important tool is learning a piece to maintain a steady pulse, but after a while I agree with you that playing with the metronome sometimes hinders the musicality, such as incorporating tiny ritardandos at the end of a phrase or playing rubato.

I once read or heard (maybe it was you) that the pulse in music is a bit like our heart beat. If our heart rate is 60 bpm it does not mean that the heart beats exactly every precise second. In reality there are some very slight variations where a beat may be at 0.97 second or 1.05 second, and so on.

So a metronome definitely has its usefulness. For instance, I have just started a jazz piece, Satin Doll, where there is a lot of syncopation. Having a different sound on the first beat realy lets me know if I am accurate with my rhythm and not cutting short any measure… which is a tendency I have. 🙂

Debbus

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

[This is a repeat of my previous comment without the many spelling mistakes… blush! blush!]

Hi Jaak,

My piano teacher is constantly urging me to play with the metronome. I agree that a metronome is an important tool in learning to maintain a steady pulse, but after a while it should be put aside. Playing with the metronome sometimes hinders the musicality as it makes it difficult to incorporate tiny ritardandos at the end of a phrase or playing rubato.

I once read or heard that the pulse in music is a bit like our heart beat. If our heart rate is 60 bpm it does not mean that the heart beats exactly every precise second. In reality there are some very slight variations where a beat may be at 0.97 second or 1.05 second, and so on.

So a metronome definitely has its usefulness. For instance, I have just started a jazz piece, Satin Doll, where there is a lot of syncopation. Having a different sound on the first beat lets me know if my rhythm is accurate and that I am not cutting short any measure… which is a tendency I have. 🙂

Dennis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.