Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Miscellaneous Pedal and tall pianists

Tagged: 

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Jaak Sikk 1 year, 3 months ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Milan Zamazal
    Participant
    @pdm

Perhaps a weird question, but how do tall pianists deal with pedaling? With my nearly two meters I can’t put my leg under the piano straight and my pedaling is a bit difficult, quite uncomfortable or even sometimes slightly painful.

Thanks,
    Milan

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi Milan,

I think the question is not weird at all. If it is reality you have to deal with, it is something inevitable and if to pay it conscious attention, you can certainly improve in some aspects.

Actually, my first advice would be simple – just sit a bit further from the piano. It will change some angles of your body, but it is what tall pianists often do. I would suggest Brend Glemser as an example. He is an extraordinary pianist (very underrated on YouTube) and a very tall man.

Here is an example too of him playing: https://youtu.be/VsKSB7O-_SA

As you see, his knees are barely under the edge of the piano. Because of that there is a tendency, that the body is slightly leaning towards the piano, but I guess this is the best option very tall pianists can take. You can even notice the same thing when you look at Van Cliburn playing.

The other thing is the piano stool. Finding a good height for this (probably the lowest possible) is also worth trying out. Is it what you have done already?

Best wishes,
    Jaak

@pdm

Milan Zamazal
    Participant
    @pdm

Hi Jaak,

thank you for your ideas and references. I’ll try to experiment with my position in future, right now I don’t want to disturb my play. A lower piano stool wouldn’t help since then my elbows would be too low and it can’t change the fact that my knee can’t fit under the keyboard.

Thanks,
    Milan

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Milan,

I can not see from the video how the base of your piano is made, but (I am sure you have already considered this) is there a way you could raise the height of the keyboard?

I do a bit of woodworking so my first idea would be to build a new base to my specifications that would look good and suit the keyboard.

Dennis

Milan Zamazal
    Participant
    @pdm

Hi Dennis,

thank you for the suggestion, if it was just my piano I might consider woodworking adjustments to it. However it is a family piano and two of my children learn playing the piano “seriously” so they have precedence in using it and I can’t make it a non-standard instrument. So I must adjust myself. 🙂

Regards,
    Milan

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi!

I think Dennis can give very good advice. He has shown himself as a great inventor when something needs creative solutions.

But yes, adapting to situation is something we deal with every day…

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.