Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Classical Pianists Some of my favorite pianists

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Jaak Sikk 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi,

I was first thinking – how to name the pianists that I consider the best among so many great ones?
    It is actually not possible to say that one top pianist is really good and another not.
    For me the criteria for choice is at the moment their influence on my playing.
    When playing and learning a piece I have been inspired and influenced a lot by: Arthur Rubinstein, Murray Perahia, Krystian Zimerman, Emil Gilels, Evgeny Kissin. (and many more actually 🙂 )

What are yours and why?

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Paul
    Participant
    @Paul

I have almost no experience with classical music, so this is a nearly impossible question for me to answer. Until you’ve heard the same place piece played by many performers its very challenging to compare or pick a favorite pianist. The only piece that I’ve heard multiple people play is the Prelude in C major by Bach that we study in the course, which I’ve heard played by perhaps 15 different professional pianists (via Apple Music). I think my favorite is probably Glenn Gould, who seems to have a very delicate and melodic touch that I find very appealing. If I remember correctly, Vladimir Ashkenazy also recorded a version that I particularly like. At the other end of the scale, I heard a version by Daniel Barenboim that I absolutely did not like, along with many others that I was simply indifferent to or mildly disliked for one reason or another, even though the pianists were well-known.

Apart from that the only other person I’ve heard who made me think that the pianist was special has been Dinu Lipatti (made me say wow wow wow a few times at his combination of control, precision but also emotion/colour). But then again, I have never heard even a recording of people like Trifonov or Lisitsa and very little Lang Lang, and as a beginning player, I have no grasp of the finer points of piano playing, so my opinion is hardly definitive! But it’s been great fun learning/hearing all these new things, and the course has been a great introduction to classical music.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Very interesting. If you find interesting recordings of the pieces we play here, please let us know for sure 🙂

I personally met and got well acquainted with a superb pianist while giving master class in Lecce, Italy. Her name is Valeria Vetruccio.
    He is the head of the piano department there. And she was responsible for my wellbeing in Lecce. I will share a video of her playing here too.

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.