Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Practicing The amount of practice in these days

Tagged: ,

9 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Dennis Dooley 1 year, 7 months ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi,

It is impossible to be an active musician without practice.
    As the life is full of many events, teaching, organizing practicing time is more and more valuable.
    I try to keep it at least two hours a day some weeks before performances 4-5 hours.
    But I remember while being in high school the average practice time per day was 5-6 hours.

But anyways, practicing has to be joyful and intelligent. Choosing your own natural amount for practice that is meaningful all the time is important.
    What is a good amount for practicing for you?

Best wishes,
    Jaak

TeaTime
    Participant
    @TeaTime

I wanted to reply to this. I bought an Alfred’s Adult piano book, Level 1 on May 24th of last year. I took about a week or so to even give it a try. So, I am naming June 1 as my one year anniversary. 🙂 When I first began, I probably practiced about 20 minutes a day, usually every day. I am now up to at least an hour, lately 1-1/2 hours. I don’t go over 30 minutes at a stretch. My back is not in the greatest shape so I have to be careful of overdoing it. I can see getting to 2 hours every day, and this includes the week-ends, of course. 😉

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I am away from home a few days at a time repairing important snow damage at our summer cottage.

Whenever I am back home I find it difficult to concentrate on new piano material. I somehow feel that I am wasting my time since I will not play the piano again for the next few days and most of that work to learn new material will be lost.

I expect this will be my situation till at least the end of May.

Should I persevere to learn new material anyway, or should I set it aside until I can give new material my full concentration and work on a more continuous basis?

kuska
    Participant
    @kuska

Dennis wrote:
    Should I persevere to learn new material anyway, or should I set it aside until I can give new material my full concentration and work on a more continuous basis?

I can see one more option: to work on existing material for a while, trying to make it nearer perfect as there’s always something to improve. Like you could focus on a particular section of what you’ve been already playing.

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Kuska,

I think that is a great idea. It is a very good use of my limited time for the next while. Later on when things are back to normal I will have the energy (mental and physical) to concentrate on new material.

In fact, this is probably the prime opportunity to polish some pieces that I have been playing for a while. Sometimes we don’t take the necessary time to really fine tune part of our piano repertoire unless we have to for performance or exam purposes.

Thanks for your suggestion. 🙂

Milan Zamazal
    Participant
    @pdm

My regular amount of practicing is half an hour to one hour per day, in late evenings. This is mostly predefined due to constraints of my everyday life, but it’s basically fine. I may be more flexible on some of free days, then I try to focus on handling various problems of my play and practice about three times per day.

kuska
    Participant
    @kuska

pdm wrote:
    and practice about three times per day.

That I find as a good practice habit in fact. When I was still in my school years I never really practiced long. It was like in 5-10 minutes blocks, many a day. And I was always prepared for my lessons without feeling tired. Now I usually practice for an hour but this is what my time is letting me to do. It wouldn’t make much sense if I tried working in very short blocks if I have like 3 hours in the evening in total. And my piano – as I play on electronic which should be first turned on and I hate waiting for it to get ready 😉

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I have a bit more time to spend at the piano these days, and I am loving it. 🙂

Being away from the piano for a while has done me good. Though I do not practice as much during the summer months, I am always eager to start up again in the fall with a renewed enthusiasm and a stronger sense of committment.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Hi!

Today I woke up early in the morning to go to the Academy for practice and recording a piece.
    It was a complete fail – I was tired, did not eat properly after waking up. I kind of made a decision that no matter what, I will go there.

And when I took a classroom which is supposed to be very good, I discovered, that the mechanism of the piano can not enable so fast repetitions that are in the piece. So I tried to record it for many times without success. I also got kind of nervous and angry about the lost 2 hours of sleep, which is a rarity with two small kids. Later I was laughing at myself!

But I will try to keep track about my practice time. How is your practice going?

Take care and take it easy 😀
    Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi all,

I have not been very present for the last while, but I have ben practicing. After Christmas I was quite tired and came down with a good cold. Now I am back at the piano with a renewed energy.

I am mostly practicing Over the Rainbow 8-hand version. It is lovely. I don’t know if I will have an opportunity to record playing with my colleagues.

I have also been practicing Un Été. This is a lovely waltz composed by Elizabet Dicker in the UK. I came across this piece on Youtube quite by accident and I thought it was very nice. I contacted Liz Dicker and asked if whe would be willing to provide the sheet music — which she did very gladly. This is almost 2 years ago.

There are a lot of notes and it is coming along nicely. I will post it in the near future to share with piano.social and also to show Liz Dicker that I put an effort in learning her piece.

Chat soon

Dennis

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Dennis Dooley.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.