Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Questions to Jaak The Cross-Eyed Pianist

4 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  kuska 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I am subscribed to a blog called “The Cross-Eyed Pianist”. This week’s post is about the solitude of being a pianist.

I found this blog post very interesting because it reminded me of the reason I like to play the piano: the alone time.

As an individual who enjoys people and who is quite frinedly and outgoing, I need a lot (I mean a lot!) of time alone. This is how I energize (or re-energize) myself. Spending time at the piano fills this need. Gardening, cycling, nordic skiing and reading are other solitary activities I do. I have never felt comfortable playing team sports like soccer, hockey, football, etc..

There are people for whom it is a necessity to be with people. I wonder if any of them choose to play the pianos. ❓

The Cross-Eyed Pianist has many diverse posts that I have always found interesting and I just wanted to let my forum colleagues know about this blog if they are not already aware of it.

This is the link to this week’s blog post:
    https://crosseyedpianist.com/2017/05/22/the-pianists-loneliness/

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for letting know about this blog.
    I did not see any interviews with the pianists in the list. Would be a most wonderful source of great reading and watching.

Take care!
    Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Jaak,

You are correct… the link does not display the blog. However, on the right side of the page under “Recent Posts” the blog post is listed and can be viewed by clicking it.

My apologies for this technical shortcoming. 😳

TeaTime
    Participant
    @TeaTime

Thank you for posting about this blog, Dennis. I greatly enjoyed that article about being alone as a pianist. It got me to thinking about my need for being alone.

Maybe that’s why I chose the piano. It’s too bad I didn’t have this companion throughout my life, especially as a child. No one offered to teach me and I never asked. Now, at my age, I chose to learn, but even having a teacher is proving to be an intrusion. I know what I like and don’t like, and have accepted my aloneness. I completely relate to all you have said in your post. Group sports?! The thought runs shivers through my spine.

On another note, I have read that many concert pianists (and even those not so advanced) take beta blockers due to the stress of performing. Now I wonder if some do because of the extra stress of being introverted. That picture of the piano in the middle of the stage all by itself speaks to my heart. However, the thought of a recital pretty much makes me ill. Good thing I am an adult who knows how to say no. 🙂

kuska
    Participant
    @kuska

Dennis wrote:
    As an individual who enjoys people and who is quite frinedly and outgoing, I need a lot (I mean a lot!) of time alone. This is how I energize (or re-energize) myself. Spending time at the piano fills this need. Gardening, cycling, nordic skiing and reading are other solitary activities I do. I have never felt comfortable playing team sports like soccer, hockey, football, etc..

Hi,

I haven’t time to read the post in question, so I’ll just reply to your view on it for now. I think you mentioned here two different things but I might be wrong. The thing is I’ve never really liked team sports, too. But I do like a teamwork when it comes to mental activity or acting in life and business. And I think I feel energized by staying with people. My guess is that the first one could be connected to less resistance to aggression that I would associate with team sports. E.g. basketball matches always looked better in male teams at school but I hated playing it in my female group. They were so aggressive. And instead of that I would play soccer with boys after school. At least up to some age. At some point I had to start relying just on my speed and it stopped to be funny as I couldn’t also catch the ball on my chest so smoothly as before 😉 Then I started to shun team sports at all. However at uni my friends were the first thing in my student life and I needed relatively small amount of time by myself.

However, it’s more about people that I’ve got around me than people in general. I also happen to have a wide variety of interests and these two often clash together. I can’t be playing piano and meeting my friends at the same time. I can’t be reading books. I can’t be writing. Unless I’d find friends with very similar needs and interests, which is harder once you graduate from university and start a normal life.

There’s also an another factor: something like dog’s and cat’s people. Being a cat and meeting a dog might bring a feeling of suffocating. Or meeting a loud person when you value peace might be overwhelming. I think this has nothing to do with being energized alone or by other people. It’s just a clash of personalities.

So just to sum this up: as I feel comfortable with working on my things all alone, I like a company of people and in a group of close friends (where I feel at ease) I don’t need any rest alone at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.