Home Forums Piano Related Discussions Instruments Una Corda Piano

Tagged: ,

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Dennis Dooley 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

One of my piano friends brought this piano to my attention. I can’t decide if I like this or not. It is quite different. What do you think?
    Una Corda Piano

Milan Zamazal
    Participant
    @pdm

Interesting. I listened to Frahm’s music last week by coincidence, for the first time. I didn’t know he uses such special instruments. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Hi Milan,

My piano friends and I are having a discussion about the advantage of playing the Una Corda piano. Some think that seeing the hammers in motion is an advantage in producing a nice sound as it also adds a visual dimention. Maybe that is the reason we sometimes see people playing an upright acoustic piano with the front panel removed. Interesting.

Take care,

Benjamin van Beek
    Participant
    @BenjaminvanBeek

I don’t know about una corda piano, but taking the front panel away from an upright piano is not – in my case – to see the hammers moving but to hear the overwhelming beauty and brightness of the sound that is mostly muted by the front panel.

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

@benjaminvanbeek

I agree, Benjamin. The sound is very different when the front panel is removed. It is the same with a grand piano where there is a huge difference in the sound depending on the lid being fully open or completely closed. The quality of the sound of a piano adds considerably to my enjoyment of a piano performance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.