8 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Dennis Dooley 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

I am considering a used Yamaha G2 medium size grand piano built in 1992 that is in good shape.

Does anyone have a Yamaha G2, and what is your impression of this type of piano?

Dennis

Paul
    Participant
    @Paul

I don’t own one, but if your technician has verified that it’s actually in good condition, then you don’t have any worries (assuming the price is ok). Yamaha is known as a very reliable piano maker. The real question is do you love how the piano plays and how the piano sounds? If the answer to both those questions is not “Yes, completely”, then I would keep shopping. There are a lots of excellent pianos out there, including some from companies you might never have heard of before (e.g, Hailun etc). Of course, if it’s a fabulous deal ($5000) and the piano is truly in good shape then you could buy it safely and know that you could sell it later if you wanted to.

Jaak Sikk
    Keymaster
    @Jaak

Dear Dennis,

Basically I love Yamaha grands and baby grands. Have played on many.
    The keys are usually quite soft (key resistance is not very hard) and the sound is very open and broad, a bit sharp maybe.
    But I consider it a very trustworthy brand and for sure you can cast out fine nuances from the instrument.
    When you record something on it, share and let us know 🙂

Best wishes,
    Jaak

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Paul_L wrote:
    I don’t own one, but if your technician has verified that it’s actually in good condition, then you don’t have any worries (assuming the price is ok). Yamaha is known as a very reliable piano maker. The real question is do you love how the piano plays and how the piano sounds? If the answer to both those questions is not “Yes, completely”, then I would keep shopping. There are a lots of excellent pianos out there, including some from companies you might never have heard of before (e.g, Hailun etc). Of course, if it’s a fabulous deal ($5000) and the piano is truly in good shape then you could buy it safely and know that you could sell it later if you wanted to.

Hi Paul_L,

Thanks for your input. Please accept my apologies for the tardy response. I’ll try to set up my account so that I am notified when ever there are additional posts.

Well, I did not get the Yamaha I was considering initially. That one looked great based on the description and the photos on the internet, but when I sat down to play it, it was just OK.

I live near Ottawa where there are few piano shops and not very many used pianos for sale privately. Therefore, I spent a few days in Montreal going around to the many piano shops where I played K. Kawai, Boston, Essex, Mason and Hamlin, and many other brands. At the best known piano store in Montreal (Pianos Bolduc) I sat at a Yamaha G2. The sound of that piano just blew me away and the touch was so even and easy to control. I saw several more pianos following that, but they just did not compare — I had fallen in love! Two days after, I went back to Pianos Bolduc and purchased that Yamaha G2.

The piano was fully regulated and tuned and came with a 3 year warranty. I am not a negotiator… not at all. My wife is the one who took care of that while I was playing away, and we got a very good deal on it. It even has a Dampp-Chaser which I felt was an indication that the previous owner took good care of it. It was delivered to my home the following week.

This beautiful walnut finish Yamaha G2 has a history. It belonged to a well known French Canadian opera singer, Joseph Rouleau. The piano was in his home, but surprisingly Mr. Rouleau did not play piano. I have to assume that the piano was only played when people came over to his house.

The piano does not show a lot of wear for having been built in 1965 in Japan for the North American market. It looks great in my living room. Though it is now slightly out of tune, I will wait a few more weeks to have it tuned till it is completely acclimatized to its new environment.

It is great to play. Now we’ll see if it helps my piano progress!! 😀

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

jaak wrote:
    Basically I love Yamaha grands and baby grands. Have played on many.
    The keys are usually quite soft (key resistance is not very hard) and the sound is very open and broad, a bit sharp maybe.
    But I consider it a very trustworthy brand and for sure you can cast out fine nuances from the instrument.
    When you record something on it, share and let us know 🙂

Hi Jaak,

Thanks for your comments.

I really love my Yamaha G2. The other day I was listening to Richard Clayderman on Spotify and I thought his piano sounded a lot like mine. Maybe he recorded on a Yamaha too. Who knows.

Once I am used to playing on it I will record my best piece and post it. 🙂

Paul
    Participant
    @Paul

Congrats on finding a piano you love. This is the most important thing!

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

Thank you Paul.

TeaTime
    Participant
    @TeaTime

Dennis wrote:
    Once I am used to playing on it I will record my best piece and post it. 🙂

I would love to hear a recording of your playing. Just thought I would throw that out there. 😉

Dennis Dooley
    Participant
    @DennisDooley

OK TeaTime. No pressure. 😀

I’ll try to post something in the next few days…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.